What they are doing well:
- Big green banner clearly telling you that thing are OK (and I assume a red banner when they are not)
- Easy to find (http://status.github.com/)
- Linked to their twitter account, which is being used effectively for real time updates.
- Ability to easily notify github of an issue from the status page.
- Fun, well designed.
What they could improve:
- Add automated real-time health status, currently relies on manual updates.
- More detail on which parts of the system are up/down, currently all or nothing.
- A Google search for "GitHub Status" returns a link to an old destination as the first result, which doesn't point users to this new site.
- Link from github.com to the status page is burried at the bottom. Make sure users can find it when they need to.
- Add an RSS feed.