What can we learn from Ma.gnolia's experience?
Watching the founder Larry Halff explain the situation provides us with some clear technologically oriented lessons:
- Test your backups
- Have a good version based backup system in place
- Outsource your IT infrastructure as much as possible (e.g. AWS, AppEngine, etc.)
For those that aren't interested in watching 12 minutes of video, here are the main points:
- Disclose what your infrastructure is and let users decide if they trust it
- Provide insight into your backup system
- Create a personal relationship with your users where possible
- Don't wait for your service to have to go through this experience, learn from events like this
- Not mentioned, but clearly communicate with your community openly and honestly.